GENERAL AND SPECIALTY SERVICES
GENERAL AND SPECIALTY SERVICES
Ophthalmology is a branch of medical science which deals both with surgical and medical cases needing care. The department of Ophthalmology manages commoner/simpler to complex Ophthalmic pathologies like refractive error, cataract, glaucoma, diabetic retinopathy, strabismus, proptosis, cranial nerve palsies, ocular and orbital tumors, idiopathic intracranial hypertension, orbital cellulitis, optic neuritis, papilledema etc. An Ophthalmologist is a specialist in the branch of medicine concerned with the study and treatment of disorders and diseases of the eye.
The department of Ophthalmology in Chitwan Medical College (CMC) provides a modern cutting-edge technology in diagnosis, and management of Ophthalmic pathologies of all kinds. The Ophthalmologists here are trained to use the latest technique and treatment modalities in routine eye examination and management of complex eye conditions. The department has an inpatient department for cases needing admission and further management.
The following are the areas of focus in the department of Ophthalmology at Chitwan Medical College,
5. Refractive lens exchange surgery
6. Phacoemulsification and Phaco nit surgeries
7. Ocular oncology
9. Botulinum toxin A for movement disorders and cosmetic use
10. Ophthalmic pathology and microbiology
12. Ocular surface and external eye diseases
The department of Ophthalmology provides superspecialist services in glaucoma, oculoplasty, medical retina, external eye diseases, Botulinum toxin A treatment, cataracts besides providing a routine general eye examination. The department has two consultant Ophthalmologists with fellowships in Phaco/Phaco nit surgeries, oculoplasty, medical retina, refractive exchange surgery, cosmetic eye surgery including Botulinum toxin A treatment ang glaucoma.
The department aims to be one of the finest in the region to reach the unreached population through a cutting-edge Ophthalmic care in central region of Nepal to reach the goal of not leaving anyone behind due to blindness or visual impairment.
Ophthalmology department at Chitwan Medical College provides consultations for all kinds of eye conditions needing simple to complex management. The department through interfaculty collaborations provides technical input for endocrine conditions and neurological conditions. The department also successfully manages patients needing advanced investigations and treatment through admission.
The department of Ophthalmology has two specialist consultant Ophthalmologist doctors and two paramedical staffs as Ophthalmic assistants.
With a modern Haag Streit Slit Lamp Biomicroscope the department also has a direct Ophthalmoscope, indirect Ophthalmoscope, +90D lens for examination, autorefractometer, retinoscope, trial set and frame with vision drum for visual acuity testing, a minor operation room in the department, Goldmann Applanation Tonometer, Biometry with A-scan to mention a few. The department has a good out patient room for routine ocular examination and an operation room with general anesthesia facility to carry out surgeries. Department of Ophthalmology at Chitwan Medical College has managed to carry out many minor surgeries and major surgeries like cataracts, glaucoma, Orbitotomy, cosmetic eye surgeries etc.
• Trends and The Pattern of Ocular Morbidity During COVID-19 Pandemic in a Tertiary Care Hospital of Central Nepal
• Serum biomarkers of lipids, atherogenic index of plasma, electrocardiogram and fundus changes in hypertensive patients attending tertiary care hospital of central Nepal
• The Prevalence of Diabetic Retinopathy, Risk Factors, Visual and Ocular status among Patients with Diabetes Mellitus Attending a Tertiary Hospital of Central Nepal.
• Optic Neuritis and Visual Outcome in a Tertiary Care Hospital of Central Nepal
• Amplitude of accommodation in different age groups, relation with refractive errors and age of onset of presbyopia in Nepalese population of central Nepal.
• Practice Regarding Dry Eye Syndrome among General Population in Central Region of Nepal
The department provides an excellent teaching learning environment for undergraduate medical students and certificate level and bachelors’ level nursing students through theory and practical classes. The department also trains interns in common eye problem management and direct Ophthalmoscopy procedure. In addition, the department of Ophthalmology actively takes part in conferences and seminars organized by the medical college and other organizations across the nation.