Liver Transplantation & HPB Surgery Unit, Department of surgery, CMC is the Nepal first of its kind dedicated hospital offering liver transplantation and all other levels of treatment for liver and biliary diseases including cancer, both in adults and children. The Liver Transplant program was started in CMC in March 2021 and has become the largest Living donor Liver Transplant program in Nepal with a team of highly qualified doctors with a rich experience of HPB & Liver Transplant surgery. The department is committed to a scientific, compassionate and patient-friendly approach.
• Cutting Edge Technology for Liver Transplant
• State of the Art two dedicated Modular Operation theater for Liver Transplant
Specially designed state-of-the-art modular operating theatres constructed with seamless, anti-infection technology fit in all equipment and fool-proof monitoring systems required by the liver surgeon to perform any surgery with precision.
• 256 Slice CT scan
This is an innovative non-invasive imaging technique that is specifically used to obtain a complete 3-Dimensional visual representation of the liver and other organs, in as less as 5 seconds. Its advanced machinery allows the experts to view your organs from any angle and the embedded detector can pick up varying densities of the organs and sends this data to a computer. The data acquisition and processing in this machine is four times faster than conventional machines, enabling us to give you the best possible diagnosis in the shortest possible scanning time.
• CUSA (Cavitron Ultrasonic Surgical Aspirator) Machine
This is the latest advancement in the equipment for Liver Transplant Surgery. This machine is used for parenchymal transection of liver during donor hepatectomy Surgery.
• EV-1000: Non-Invasive Cardiac Monitoring
This is the non-invasive cardiac hemodynamic monitoring during Liver transplant Surgery and after Liver Transplant in ICU.
• State of the Art dedicated Liver Transplant ICU
There are four bedded dedicated Liver Transplant ICU for care of liver transplant patients after Surgery. The ICU is well equipped with all modern facilities like Ventilator, Noninvasive cardiac monitoring, dialysis.
• Achievement of Liver Transplant & HPB Surgery Unit.
The Unit has performed first Liver Transplant on 8.12.2077. Since then, the team has performed five liver Transplantation and has become the Nepal First Hospital to do Liver Transplant Regularly in Nepal. The department has also done Non-Transplant Surgery Like Hepaticojejunostomy for biliary strictures, Laparoscopic cholecystectomy, Whipple Operation for Pancreatic cancer.
OPD Service- Daily from 8 PM to 4 PM except on holidays
What we treat?
The department provides care, treatment, and services for all liver biliary and Pancreatic diseases, some of which include the following:
• Liver Transplantation (Adult and Pediatrics)-
• Living Donor Liver Transplantation
• Deceased Donor Liver Transplantation
• Liver Surgery- Hepatectomy
• Laparoscopic Cholecystectomy
• Surgery for Gall Bladder Cancer
• Bile duct stone disease surgery
• Whipple Surgery for pancreatic Cancer and all other pancreatic Surgery
Disease We treat
• Fatty Liver
• Hepatitis B & C treatment
• Hepatitis due to other Cause
• Wilson Disease
• Metabolic Liver disease
• Acute Liver Failure
• Acute on Chronic Liver Failure
• Cirrhosis of Liver
• Liver Cancer- Hepatocellular Carcinoma
• Benign Liver Mass Like Hemangioma
• Liver Metastasis
• Gall Bladder cancer
• Pancreatic Cancer
• Acute Pancreatitis
• Chronic Pancreatitis
• Abdominal Trauma- Liver Trauma
Dr Sanjay Kumar Yadav- Associate professor.
Dr Pravin Joshi- Assistant Professor
Dr Jayant Kumar Sah.
Anesthesia & Critical Care
Dr Kiran Adhikari- Associate Professor
Dr Suresh Gautam- Assistant professor
Dr Nabin Yadav. Sr. Lecturer
Dr Sagar Poudyal. Associate Professor
Dr Barun Shrestha- Associate Professor
Pediatric Critical Care
Dr Biraj Parajuli.- Associate Professor
Dr Bigyan Poudyal- Assistant professor
Dr Subhas ojha- Sr. Lecturer
Dr Pradesh Ghimire- Sr. Lecturer
Dr Nisha Ghimire
1. Soin A S, Choudhary NS, Yadav SK et al Restructuring Living-Donor Liver Transplantation at a High-Volume Center during the COVID-19 Pandemic. Journal of Clinical and Experimental Hepatology. December 2020.
2. Bhangui P, Saigal P, Yadav SK et al. Incorporating tumour biology to predict HCC recurrence in patients undergoing LDLT using expanded selection criteria. Liver Transplantation. December 2020.
3. Bhangui P, Yadav SK, Soin A S. Post liver transplant recurrence in patients with hepatocellular carcinoma: not necessarily the end of the road! October 2020. Hepatoma Research 6(10)
4. Choudhary NS, Saigal S, Yadav SK et al. Good long term outcomes in patients with primary sclerosing cholangitis undergoing living donor liver transplantation. Journal of Clinical and Experimental Hepatology. February 2020.
5. Tiwari A, Saigal S, Yadav SK et al. De novo malignancy after living donor liver transplantation: Experience from large volume center. Journal of Clinical and Experimental Hepatology. February 2020.
6. Rastogi A, Yadav SK, Soin AS. Organ Procurement in the donation after brain dead donor without in vivo organ perfusion- A Novel technique Journal of Clinical and Experimental Hepatology. January 2020.